Wednesday 11 April 2012

Winter is on its way!

So I woke up this morning to a cold breeze and the blankets pulled up around my neck! Big, sudden change from the warm weather we've had of late (especially the hot, sunny days over the Easter long weekend - perfect beach weather I must admit!). I'm hoping this cool change signals the start of the autumn/winter weather. Which of course makes me excited for two reasons:
1 - I am a winter baby! Give me jeans, a jumper and boots over shorts and t-shirts anyday!
2 - This colder weather makes it feel closer to baby Jellybean's (yes, the baby has a nickname!) arrival, seeing as he/she will be born in chilly July. 13 weeks to go (not that I'm counting of course!).

In our house, cooler weather usually means that we ditch the salad and opt for warmer, heartier meals. My husband is a huge fan of pumpkin soup. I am not so much. I'm more of a part-time supporter (somehow pregnancy seems to have made me actually enjoy a bowl of pumpkin soup on the odd occassion!). So I thought I might share my easy pumpkin soup recipe with you. It's basically a 'throw all the ingredients in' deal. Slow cooked pumpkin perfection this is =)

Ingredients:
- 1 pumpkin, skins and seeds removed
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1/2 sweet potato
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 250g diced bacon
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup light evaporated milk (or cream)
- salt and pepper to taste

Method:
- Roughly chop pumpkin, potato, sweet potato and carrots
- Place these, along with the onion, celery, bacon, curry powder and stock, into your slow cooker
- Cook for 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low
- Allow to cool and then blend until smooth, using a stick blender or food processor
- Stir through evaporated milk, add salt and pepper to taste and serve!

Bon Appetit!

Emilley xx

P.s. Thought you might like to know that I am in the middle of making an adorable little boys vest. Stay tuned for pictures to come over the next few days! Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment